The HOPA Quality Oversight Committee has identified multiple ways for oncology pharmacists to incorporate healthcare quality and value into practice to help pharmacists in optimizing cancer care.
Oncology pharmacists are in a unique position to contribute significantly to quality and value metrics in the care of patients with cancer, and are already involved in creating positive impact in this space. The HOPA Quality Oversight Committee has identified multiple ways for oncology pharmacists to incorporate healthcare quality and value into practice to help pharmacists in optimizing cancer care. The resources provided within this page serve as a foundation of information to develop or refine skills, examine validated oncology and pharmacy-focused metrics, and share examples of initiatives.
Available Tools and Toolkits
Building a solid foundation
The HOPA Quality Oversight Committee has identified both online and live educational programs to help members in developing the necessary skills and the successful orientation to healthcare quality improvement initiatives – participating, initiating and leading. https://nahq.org/education/hq-principles
Healthcare Quality Certificate Programs
There are multiple certificate programs available for pharmacists to seek advanced certification in healthcare quality improvement. https://nahq.org/certification/certified-professional-healthcare-quality
Quality Improvement Project/Research Resource Center
The National Association of Healthcare Quality (NAHQ) offers the QI Resource Center – an unbiased, policy-neutral center for educational resources and information on biosimilars for pharmacists, physicians, nurses, and other healthcare providers. The QI Resource Center is frequently updated with a variety of FAQs, whitepapers, webinars, CE programs, and journal articles.
- Healthcare Quality Background/Training/Education
- National Association for Healthcare Quality (NAHQ) - https://nahq.org
- American Society of Clinical Oncology- Quality Training Program (ASCO QTP)- https://practice.asco.org/quality-improvement/quality-programs/quality-training-program
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) - http://www.ihi.org
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) - https://www.aafp.org/advocacy/informed/research/ahrq.html
- Resources Related to Oncology-Based Quality Measures
- Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) Measures - https://qpp.cms.gov/mips/quality-measures
- Oncology Care Model (OCM) - https://innovation.cms.gov/initiatives/Oncology-Care
- National Quality Forum (NQF) - https://www.qualityforum.org/Home.aspx
- American Society of Clinical Oncology- Quality Oncology Practice Initiative (ASCO –QOPI) - https://practice.asco.org/quality-improvement/quality-programs/qopi-certification-program
- Quality-based Meetings
- American Society of Clinical Oncology - Quality Care Symposium (ASCO Quality Symposium) - https://meetings.asco.org/quality/save-date
- Pharmacy Quality Alliance (PQA) - https://www.pqaalliance.org/pqa-annual-meeting
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) - http://www.ihi.org/education/Conferences/National-Forum/Pages/default.aspx
- National Association for Healthcare Quality (NAHQ) - https://www.nahqsummit.org
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) - https://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/education/continuing-ed/index.html
- Select Publications
- Vulaj V, Hough S, Bedard L, et al. Oncology pharmacist opportunities: closing the gap in quality care. J Oncol Pract. 2018 Jun;14(6):e403-e411. doi: 10.1200/JOP.2017.026666.
- Man L, Sen J, Giordano J, et al. Multidisciplinary effort to decrease time from admission to chemotherapy on an inpatient oncology unit. J Oncol Pract. 2019 Jun 25:JOP1800281. doi: 10.1200/JOP.18.00281.